The J M O’Hara Research Fund (JMOHRF) was established in 1976 and has been managed by the Pharmaceutical Society of Western Australia (PSWA) since its inception in accordance with the J M O’Hara Research Fund Deed. It is named in honour of John Michael O’Hara, a past President and long-serving member of the Society’s Council and one of Australia’s most prominent pharmacists —
The JMOHRF provides financial grants for Western Australian based research in pharmaceutical sciences or in any aspect of pharmacy practice to PSWA members and to encourage and promote studies designed to improve the practice of pharmacy. In addition, all members of the profession gain from the outcomes of research which is aimed at expanding knowledge in any branch of pharmaceutical science or in any aspect of the practice of pharmacy.
Funding for the JMOHRF comes from the Pharmacy 100 Club and other generous donations and bequests from individuals and corporate sponsors.
Several key projects recently funded by the JM O’Hara Research Fund include —
The J M O’Hara Research Fund (JMOHRF) provides assistance to PSWA members for WA based research in pharmaceutical sciences or pharmacy practice and encourages and promotes studies designed to improve the practice of pharmacy.
- All members of the profession gain from the outcomes of research which is aimed at expanding knowledge in any branch of pharmaceutical science or in any aspect of the practice of pharmacy.
- The JM O’Hara Research Fund has previously provided small amounts of seed or scope funding to WA pharmacy researchers for small scale projects. Our new vision is establishing an ongoing funding source, to provide more significant grants for larger scale, cutting edge research projects in WA, which will have positive benefits for the pharmacy profession and community health.
- Annual grants up to $50,000 are now awarded to successful applicants.
- The JMOHRF is establishing a significant working capital base to drive future funding and attract further funding from outside the industry to ensure the JMOHRF becomes the most significant research fund in the area of pharmacy practice in WA.
- The goal is to establish the JMOHRF as a major player in health research in WA that will be recognised by Government and the wider health industry as making an important contribution to community health and future health delivery.
- The JMOHRF is a way of maintaining a relevant role for the PSWA going forward and will ensure the efforts of past generations of pharmacists in establishing the assets of PSWA are not wasted or left dormant.
Thanks to our current Corporate Sponsors —
PSWA are pleased to announce that Symbion and Guild Insurance have joined the JM O’Hara Research Fund as Industry Partners. The support of these industry partners will help to ensure PSWA’s vision to establish an ongoing substantial funding source to provide significant grants for larger scale, cutting edge research projects in WA becomes a reality. The resultant research will have positive benefits for the pharmacy industry and improve health outcomes for all Western Australians.
Your Invitation to become a Corporate Sponsor —
The Pharmacy Industry is facing increasing competition and needs to develop new income streams. To do this, reliable evidence is required to show that benefits of any innovative practice changes or professional services offered in pharmacy are both beneficial and cost effective.
Make a commitment today and the PSWA will establish you as a J M O’Hara Research Fund Corporate Sponsor, partnering in the development of evidence based research. This is your opportunity to not only support the profession and contribute to its future growth, but also make a positive impact on the health of all Western Australians. You will be part of the development of evidence-based research that will enable new means of remuneration and innovation in pharmacy.
Your contribution will ensure the ongoing success of the Pharmacy Industry.